With all of the negatives and pessimism in the news lately, I decided that I would refocus the blog for a while on the positives. The first is about the amazing Elon Musk.
Most people may have heard about Elon Musk because of his car company Tesla. But Musk may have no modern day equivalent and hopefully, his impact on society will be immeasurable.
Musk was the co-founder of PayPal. PayPal was bought by eBay for $1.5 billion. Musk took his earnings and instead of resting on his success started 3 companies, Space X and Tesla and Solar City.
Musk wrote his first master plan for Tesla 10 years ago which consisted of the following:
1. Create a low volume car, which would necessarily be expensive
2. Use that money to develop a medium volume car at a lower price
3. Use that money to create an affordable, high volume car
4. Provide solar power.
I for one was not aware that Musk’s first Master Plan was to create the base that would allow him to move forward with his plan to significantly alter our society. From Musk. “The point of all this was, and remains, accelerating the advent of sustainable energy, so that we can imagine far into the future and life is still good.”
Here is Musk’s Master Plan Part 2:
1. Create stunning solar roofs with seamlessly integrated battery storage
2. Expand the electric vehicle product line to address all major segments (Buses and Semi’s)
3. Develop a self-driving capability that is 10X safer than manual via massive fleet learning
4. Enable your car to make money for you when you aren't using it
Musk talks about turning the factory into a product itself so it can improve with each iteration.
All the while, SpaceX is launching rockets and landing them on a floating platform in the sea. It’s amazing to see someone with such future vision and a willingness to risk it all to move towards it. Musk is the type of person who will continue to push the country forward to a life that “still is good”